Monday, February 15, 2016

We are just back from our visit to the Uffizzi Gallery. It really is just around the corner, walk two short blocks, go around another corner and you are there. The Uffizzi was established in 1581 and has 1.9 million visitors a year. Today wasn't too crowded except for about half the population of Japan. It really wasn't bad, especially after I adjusted my attitude, which is very often necessary for me in order to enjoy the unknowns in life. As with most public spaces in life today, the first step to the process was the security check. After several tries, I made it. There is always that guy--today it was me. Before we left for the gallery, I thought I'd be clever and download an app or two to make the experience more "enjoyable". You know, I like to be clever and up to date. Well, right off I realized that the app really wasn't necessary and actually interfered with the experience. When you go just about anywhere these days at least half the people around you are looking at their phones, not matter what the event or activity is. In my experience, my phone and the internet can enhance whatever the experience is, but it can also remove one from the moment. It's a toss up and one must pay attention.In the initial rooms, most of the art was religious art, in ornate frames that were more like alters. They were gold and complex, the type one would see in a church. Even though the subject matter was basically the adoration of the baby Jesus or the loving devotion of the wounded savior, there was great beauty to behold. My interest was rekindled when we entered the rooms with pieces depicting other subject matter, such as human activities and frailties not directly tied to Christian liturgy. On occasion, trains of students would file past us. They varied in content from the Italian elementary school children with the beautiful and stylish teacher to the Japanese groups with the teacher leading the train with a raised arm for visibility. I had decided that I would not take a zillion pictures, that I would concentrate on soaking in the moment. Well, that passed quickly. Everything is available to re-examine online, but the act of taking a picture and going through them later, does help to imprint the actual experience. Sometimes, I take a picture of the information about the painting along with the painting itself. The problem with that is that the photos do not always show up in order. Yesterday, while sorting, cropping and discarding photos, I decided to try something I had thought of while at the gallery. One of the apps I got and didn't use, scans paintings and identifies them. Perhaps it would work on the images showing on my screen. It did. Not that it worked perfectly, but when it did recognize a painting and I checked it by name on google, it was correct. So, now I have the beautiful images to look at and share. Technology has come along centuries after the artists lived and died, that can help spread the work and vision, along with the ability to credit the artist by name and date. Of course, there have been centuries of scholars to recognize and categorize important art, music and intellectual concepts. I am amazed and thankful for their vision. And then, there are people like me, plodding along ignorant of so much history but lucky enough to discover it as if it was brand new. I am so grateful to be at a time in my life when new/old knowledge falls in front of me like a gift from above. Today is another day. We will go to the market. I will try the walk because it isn't far. Perhaps we'll take a cab back to save my foot. Thinking of cabs, we had a good experience with one the other day. It had a rough spot but all ended well. We took a side trip by train to Montecatani, a spa town about 45 minutes by train. As usual, the train ride was smooth, simple and cheap. It is amazing the trains run at all since they usually don't even check your ticket. Many people must ride for free. Montecatani is a sweet little town, yet another version of Italian style. There was lots to see and we just got a glimpse, my ankle dictating our ability to explore. More about the town at another time. This is a little tale about the trials and tribulations of travel. The train ride in both directions went well and as we stepped off the train back in Florence we both remarked how easy this sort of transportation can be. We even knew exactly where the cab stand was located and we got one immediately. It is so easy to go on a little side trip without luggage. We had only our bathing suits and shower shoes to carry which were in a "sport sack". I travel in a "sports raincoat" made of a of a breathable material. It has lots of pockets, inside and out so it is like a backpack you wear. That, along with my passport wallet worn under my clothing and I'm a relatively self contained unit. Bonnie has a travel purse with enough zipper compartments and attached accessories to hold everything in a compact but potentially confusing unit. As with my multi pocket coat, you may have to look in a zillion places to find what you need. So, there we were, quickly arriving at the end of via del corno, our narrow little street. Since we are only about 100' from the bigger street, the cab let us off at the corner. There is always a little confusion disembarking----how much is it, take off the seat belt, find the money and pay. A few moments after we get out of the cab, Bonnie realizes that she has left the sport sack in the cab. Well, it's s dark and the cab is gone. What to do. My mind is blank. I have absolutely no idea how to even approach this problem, other to say goodby to the sportsack and the few things in it. This sort of thing shakes ones confidence, but Bonnie rallied quickly. She dashes off a text to Niccolo, our host, and asks him whether there is a lost and found or some other way to reconnect with our bag of stuff. Well, St.Anthony was watching over us, because within 5 minutes she gets a call from Niccolo telling her that he has called company and that the cab driver will be at the end of our street in 10 minutes with our bag. We put on our shoes, go out and there he was at the corner. I happily gave him €10 and a handshake. WHAT A COUNTRY.

No comments:

Post a Comment